Banter from Brabant

Friday, October 13, 2006

A Fine Day

As I was walking home from class this morning, I took notice of the beautiful day – warm, sunny – I am talking mid-60’s, which I understand is unseasonably warm for Belgium. It has been fairly dry as well with little rain in the past 2 weeks. I think I have used my umbrella just twice since I arrived!


I decided to compare this fine weather with the states. Now I hate to gloat, but 35 – feels like 25? What? (I guess it is about 6am there…) It is sure to snow on Halloween – and I will be thinking about you poor mothers and fathers who will be walking around endlessly during Trick or Treat. I do hope for finer weather. In fact, I remember one such Halloween… a foot of snow, but Sam and I were bound and determined to get our candy, much, I am sure, to my mother and father’s dismay. Does anyone remember our costume that year? Were we snow people? ;)


Do not be too jealous… while it is a fine day and appears that it will be a fine weekend, I am not to enjoy it. First, we have been jolted from sleep nearly each day this week by an incessant jack-hammering. It seems that in Belgium, it is perfectly acceptable to begin such noisy work at 6:30AM! Unbelievable. Those of you who know me will understand… I am not a morning person. If they are work over the weekend, there may be war. In addition to being tired, I have an alarming amount of papers and presentations during the month of October, which will keep me chained to the library all day, every day. I will be heading there shortly after my lunch of tuna melt and chicken noodle soup (which is more like chicken broth, actually).


Despite being tired, I am enjoying the day for what it is. I had an early class, and I am starting to appreciate the early start to the day. (Perhaps the biological clock is ticking in? I don’t think so…) On my way home from class, I have the luxury of enjoying a street market. Many of you know how I loved the farmers market in Minneapolis… and this one is ten times better (albeit a bit more expensive. The produce is the same price as the grocery store – sometimes more). The market itself is quite large – it spans all over the city, and you can really get lost in it. Today, I found a few things that I have been looking for such as homemade rhubarb sauce, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, etc. These things are not found in the grocery store. There are endless clothing sellers, bakeries, delis, produce sellers, crafts, and the list goes on and on.


And so I am off to the library to study. Tonight, we will be visiting a new friend (from Poland). It is apparently her name day, which is similar to a birthday, only you celebrate on the day that your name is assigned. (I think they have a similar custom in Russia?) So two parties in one year to celebrate yourself;) I don’t know quite what to expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home